Futuristic apartment living.... A complete example
The Eco Silver House in Ljubljana, Slovenia is a stunning example of the way apartment buildings around the world will be constructed. Combining numerous sustainable and technical design elements the result is far more than just a building that meets the requirements of passive design. Benefits for both the home owner and environment ensure this 11 story residential apartment building is truly a sustainable construction.
Quick building facts-
- Total of 17 floors
- 4 Basement levels with 279 car parking spaces, electric car charging stations
- Ground floor is for businesses, Mezzanine for storage
- 11 Floors, 128 residntial apartments
- Construction began in September 2010 and was completed in June 2014
- 33kw Solar Panel Plant
- 60m3 water tank-used for flushing toilets- saves an estimated 500m3 of water a year
- 750m2 Green Roof
- Excellent thermal and sound Insulation
- Triple Glazed windows
- External window shutters can be automated to provide shade from hot sun
- High quality ventilation system enables the restoration of the waste heat (85% heat recovery, leading to 50% lower costs of heating)
- Electronic car charging points, as well as an electronic car hiring promotion for residents. In conjuntion with local public transport means it is possible to live without owning a car.
- Energy consumption, heating and cooling can be individually monitored and adjusted by the individual apartment owner
A guided tour with Andraz from Akropola (the company behind the Eco Silver House) gave great insight into the project. On a heavily overcast day the 7th floor apartment we toured was amazingly filled with natural light, it had a real sense of peace and calm (due to the triple glazing and excellent sound insulation), and the air was noticeably clean (ventilation system).
To be able to see this sustainable apartment building up close was very informative. Interestingly, with support from the European Commission the Eco Silver House is being used for research. For 3 years the building is being monitored to see how new technology can increase energy efficiency.
No doubt that all of the design smart, sustainable design elements used yesterday in the Eco Silver House will become common practice in all apartment construction tomorrow.
For a lot more information on the Eco Silver House go to www.ee-highrise.eu